Information on Addiction & Treatment
REFERENCE & REFERRAL:
A FREE online course by Emory University. This is a course about addiction to drugs and other behaviors. It will describe what happens in the brain and how this information helps us deal with and overcome addiction. It will also discuss other topics such as government policy and our vulnerability to take drugs.
- Daily blog, to which you can subscribe, covering pertinent issues in addiction and treatment. Treatment locator is also on the site.
- Here you find information on addiction, treatment, and treatment reviews
- Find the latest definition of addiction here
- Lisa Frederiksen provides education, prevention and intervention services rooted in 21st Century brain and substance misuse-related science for a range of addiction-related concerns, including: substance misuse, mental illness, addiction as a brain disease, secondhand drinking, dual diagnosis, underage drinking, help for families, treatment, recovery, brain health and more.
- A Colorado nonprofit providing extensive information on addiction. The resources page is especially helpful.
- Informative website about drug and alcohol abuse on college campuses, and how college students can keep themselves safe.
- Nationwide news on drug prevention
- Website with a treatment locator function by state.
- One of the biggest names in the treatment and recovery industry. Resources, books, and help for people with addiction problems, as well as the families that love them.
- Founded by Dr. Kevin McCauley, the Institute provides extremely helpful books and DVD’s on understanding addiction, including the latest on brain science.
- A global online support community for those with addiction issues, and their families. The site brings people together for support with substance abuse issues, as well as sex addiction, self mutilation, gambling, over eating, eating disorders, codependency and adult children of alcoholics.
- Faith-based help for drug, alcohol, psychological, emotional problems
- The website of Debra and Jeff Jay, experts on addiction and intervention. On this page they list their favorite treatment centers. The Jay’s also provide 38 FREE videos to walk families through the intervention process. Check it out here.
- Mental Health America affiliates across the country provide a broad range of critical programs and services – finding and developing housing for homeless individuals; offering support groups and referrals for counseling; and providing safety net services in their communities.
- Information about meth specifically, plus treatment resources specific to Oregon
- An animated and interactive presentation by the Genetic Science Learning Center at University of Utah. Take a look inside the brains of mice on drugs! Every drug of abuse has its own molecular mechanism. You’ll learn how various drugs disrupt the synapse to make the user feel “high.”
- About: “The National Council for Behavioral Health (National Council) is the unifying voice of America’s community mental health and substance use treatment organizations. Together with our 2,000 + member organizations employing 750,000 staff, we serve our nation’s most vulnerable citizens — more than 8 million adults and children living with mental illnesses and addiction disorders. We are committed to ensuring all Americans have access to comprehensive, high-quality care that affords every opportunity for recovery and full participation in community life.”
- This site features information on local resources for getting help for a substance use concern, fact sheets, and further information for friends, family members, parents, and youth on having a conversation about substance use.
- A leading U.S. agency for research on alcohol use and disorders.
Excellent resource for information on all drugs of abuse and addiction. There is a section specifically for teens:
- Click here to learn the signs of drug abuse, what to do, and how to find treatment for your loved one.
- Click here to view Dr. Nora Volkow’s, NIDA’s director, fascinating presentation on marijuana.
- Great information on prescription drug abuse
- Good website for teens!
- One of the top resources for information on drugs, treatment and intervention
- The parent helpline is 1-855-DRUGFREE (1-855-378-4373). It is a nationwide support service that offers assistance to parents who want to talk to someone about their child’s drug use and drinking.
- Excellent online help for parents… reading material as well as people to talk to
- Click here for fact sheets, brochures and e-books you can download on intervention, finding treatment, drugs of abuse, parent guides, how to talk to your kids.
- Parent Toolkit
- A leading site for myth vs. fact information on marijuana.
- Part of SAMHSA, recoverymonth.gov supports those in recovery with information and tools. Their toolkit has information on substance misuse and mental health disorders, as well as a treatment locator for recovery resources. A very cool site…check it out.
- Excellent site about hi-risk drinking among adolescents and young adults. You’ll find many resources here.
- An organization working to shatter the stigma of the disease of addiction
- Sober Nation.com is a leading database on the internet, providing information on recovery resources and addiction treatment centers.
- SAMHSA is one of the leading U.S. agencies providing data and other information on addiction. There is also a wonderful tool on their website where you can search for treatment programs by state, as well as by type of service and the forms of payment accepted.
- A Christ-centered, faith-based solution for youth, adults, and families struggling with life-controlling problems, such as addiction.
75 Amazing Addiction Recovery Blogs for 2015 is a list compiled by Cathy Taughinbaugh, one of the leading bloggers on addiction. Click here to find the list.
Cathy Taughinbaugh provides parent coaching and her website, Helping Parents Find Peace, is a terrific resource.